I have been musing on some things lately and one thing which clicked for me is that there is a difference between being a good parent and being a good provider. Ideally, I want to be both one day.
Walk with me through this concept for a minute - for example, if a father works hard every day, so much so he's never there to say more than a few things to his children, doesn't make time to be there for any major (or minor events for that matter), but his children have the best of everything (clothing, food, education, toys, opportunities)- by many standards, he would be considered a good parent. All of his child's essential needs were more than met, they were exceeded! Right?
Let me flip that for a second: now, you have a father who is barely getting by financially, he also works hard. His kids get their clothes as hand me downs or if they are new, it may not necessarily be name brand. However, he is there to put them to bed most nights and since he can't afford to put his kids into organized sports, he takes them to the park or local rec center for games or to hang out with friends.
One is unequivocally a good provider, but the other demonstrates being a parent - being there, physically, emotionally, mentally. I am not a parent yet, but I was someone's child. If you give your child everything BUT you - your time, love, wisdom - you may be a great provider, but does that equate to good parenting? I would argue no.
There are so many broken people in this world with issues that others can't figure out. And not always visibly broken, but lacking confidence, the ability to connect, seeking affection and love in the wrong places... How many came from good providers who interpreted that as good parenting? Just something I've been musing on.
No comments:
Post a Comment