Tuesday, January 5, 2016

New Year, New Goals

Happy 2016 all! So, I don't remember ever being a big New Year's Resolution person and I'm not about to start now. I do however, believe in goal setting and what I did a day or two ago is to begin to think about what goals I have for the immediate future and maybe those that may take longer.

I've seen the power of simply writing down what it is you'd like to accomplish and it's something I've done since I was a kid, albeit, not consistently. When my husband and I got married, maybe a few months in, we wrote down what we'd like to accomplish together - some short term, some within 5 years, and I think we may have gone 10 years out. Do you know we've already accomplished some of our 5 year goals, less than 3 years in? I believe we are blessed, but I also believe a clear road map is good.

What I discovered during my round of solo goal setting is that I felt kind of discouraged about some things, but furthermore, that lead to me being fearful of writing down my big goals/dreams because I wasn't sure IF it could happen or what I could do to help it along. Well, I wrote it down anyway!! You need the "what" first, then explore the "how."

The first step is acknowledging what is in your heart and mind to do. Yes, think and pray on it - if it lines up with the will of God, what can't you do?! The next step (in my humble opinion) is to ask for wisdom in how to accomplish it. Then, proceed in your data gathering, contact appropriate resources, and DO something.

If it's been prophesied that you'd be a writer, for example, it'll never happen if you don't actually start writing. If baking is what you love doing most, you're passionate about it, and would love to have your own business - find out what you need to do. Maybe you need to be licensed and then, maybe you need to get an LLC (for example). If you love organizing things (events, closets, life ), maybe that's what you may consider pursuing.

I can say, from the time I was a little girl, 8 or 9, I've been writing stories complete with dialogue and plot, as well as poetry. I don't think it's happenstance. I believe God gave me that gift and the desire to be a writer. So, I'll do it even if just 10 people ever buy my books while I'm alive, LOL. I won't stop out of fear or discouragement because it hasn't gone the way I'd like yet.
I've gone a rabbit trail, but to come back to the center - don't let life go by aimlessly. Write down goals, don't be afraid to dream big! Have faith that it can be so.

James 2:18
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

1 comment:

  1. Catching up on my blogs & I am just reading this today (although I have read newer ones of yours). It was perfect timing! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete