Let me explain - I was singing along to the song I'm going to attach to this post and it's saying, "Jesus, walk with me...how I need you, how I need you..." and something in my heart just broke. I have a man in my life who I love very much, but nothing can fill that place in me that literally needs Jesus to live. Not food, not laughs, not man, not friend, not family, not jobs, not television, not music...NOTHING can fill that place in you that responds to Jesus.
I was not always a Christian (though I thought I was), but I tell you what, a good gospel song would touch my heart without fail. And it's not about religion, it's about a deep place in us that I believe many try to address with the wrong things. For me, I tried to fill it with a man and I tried to fill it with sex and I tried to fill it with accomplishments and I tried to fill it with making others happy or proud of me. But at the end of the day, because I didn't really know Jesus like I wanted and needed to know him, I was still empty. When I worship or pray and I can get past that wall and something breaks...WHEW, there's nothing like it! I don't pretend I know the Lord like I want to know Him. I'm just scratching the surface. I won't pretend that I pray for hours on end or that I always penetrate that wall I just spoke of - but I do know my Father and the Son know me. And at the end of the day, that's VERY important.
There is the temptation, especially when things are going "well", to forget about that need to go and worship the Lord or seek Him alone. I am reminded when I'm going through something and my boyfriend or a friend is there and they want me to talk to them and I just want to run and talk to the Father. I can't find the words to tell them what's wrong. Only my Daddy can help me sort through all this...this...STUFF.
So, my challenge to myself and whomever may read this is to be sure to sneak away to seek the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - away from the chaos of the day, away from the 50 things on your to-do list, away from your loved ones - because there's a space that Jesus is waiting to fill. We need to continuously chip at that "wall" so that we get to the point where it just tumbles whenever we go into prayer and worship. Let's frequent Him, let's acknowledge those voids and let Him shine light on the dark places.
As the holidays approach and we (hopefully I'm not alone in this) grapple with some things we've been avoiding, ignoring, or been surprised by - those 10, 15, 20 minutes with Jesus become that much more important to keeping those old, "familiar" feelings at bay.
No comments:
Post a Comment