Proverbs 15:1 NLT
A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.
Proverbs 15:1 KJV
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
The first scripture came up in my Bible app and I went on to read more of the chapter. Proverbs is one of my favorite books of the Bible, along with the Book of James, because of its practicality and application to every day life.
I've read the whole book of Proverbs, and sections of it multiple times, but this struck me. I guess I feel the truth of it from both sides. Quickest way to make me mad is to speak sharply to me, especially if I feel it's unwarranted. I've also thanked people for handling me gently, when perhaps they could have given me as bad as I gave them.
This is something I also need to work on. Sometimes I say things and they come out harsh or rather, I'm in a situation which has irritated me and my words are not gentle at all. If we are gentle, even in a crazy situation or with an aggressive person - we can diffuse a lot of anger, hurt, and overall drama that is typically the result of someone speaking without thinking.
The word for grievous (KJV) actually comes from the Hebrew word for earthen vessel, which points to a fleshly response. A soft answer, or tender, soft, or [seemingly] weak answer, helps to turn away anger or wrath. As I often say, sometimes you have to take the "L" or loss. In taking that "L", or being like the Lamb, in the end, you win.
No comments:
Post a Comment