Thursday, November 6, 2014

Awkward Black Girl

I randomly thought of the web series that garnered so much acclaim for Issa Rae. I love it so much because it was my story. As a kid, I remember realizing one day that I wasn't like other kids. It's the day I wanted to stop playing outside and stay in my room and read. Being sent outside stopped being fun and became trying and lonely.

I don't know what happened or when exactly social interactions became difficult, but it happened. I went from being an outgoing tomboy to an introverted bookworm. I'd like to say it got easier as I got older, but it didn't. I had friends,  but feeling comfortable being myself around them was limited to a relatively few people. I'd adapt to who I was with, as best I could.

I can say now, that sense of awkwardness has eased. Do I feel like I "fit"? No, I'm just accepting those things that differentiate me from the world more day by day. I'm finally learning who I am.

2 comments:

  1. love this and I can totally relate! I still rather stay in with a good book home alone than be out and about.

    -newest follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following!! I'm sorry I'm so late, I hadn't posted a new entry in some time!

      Delete